Brazilian Wunderkind Luis Henrique Joins Marseille

Brazilian Wunderkind Luis Henrique Joins Marseille

Olympique de Marseille announced on Friday that they have acquired young Brazilian wunderkind Luis Henrique from Botafogo. The 18-year-old signed a five-year deal with the French giant after the club sent a reported 12 million euro transfer fee for the striker’s services. He is now the most expensive transfer for any player arriving from a club outside of Europe and is the 15th most expensive Brazilian transfer in Ligue One history. It’s worth noting that according to TransferMarkt, Marseille will pay 60 percent of the 12 million euros to Henrique’s parent club Tres Passos Atletico Clube and the remaining 40 percent to Botafogo, where he’s played on loan for two years.

In a brief press release form OM, the club’s general manager Pablo Longoria voiced his pleasure with his newest player. “He has a lot of talents, he started in a Brazilian first division team with a lot of pressure. He will bring us some interesting things with its characteristics. He is a promising player.” Longoria went on to praise Henrique’s willingness to play multiple positions. “He can play anywhere in front. He played as a winger with Botafogo’s U20s and then a striker with Botafogo’s first team.”

Henrique doesn’t quite have the statistics to back up his potential, but the club will be sure to take their time with him. OM will experience a harder schedule this season, not least of which because they’ll be competing in the Champions League for the first time since the 2013-14 season. So it’s wise for the club to pick up some extra fire power to add to their already potent front line that is headlined by 30-year-old striker Dario Benedetto. Henrique will wear the number 11 shirt.

Would you like to advertise with Game Changer Sports Network? We have the perfect opportunity for any and all businesses please contact Jake at to discuss potential advertising space with us!

Featured Image – AP Photo/Claude Paris, File

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: