With the Brickyard 400 in the rear view mirror, the final crop of drivers to compete for the 2019 Monster Energy Cup Series Championship are now set. From past champions, to young-guns and everything in between, here’s an in depth look at who’s in, and unfortunately, who’s out!
- Kyle Busch (Joe Gibbs Racing)
- Denny Hamlin (Joe Gibbs Racing)
- Martin Truex Jr. (Joe Gibbs Racing)
- Kevin Harvick (Stewart-Haas Racing)
- Joey Logano (Penske Racing)
- Brad Keselowski (Penske Racing)
- Chase Elliott (Hendrick Motorsports)
- Kurt Busch (Chip Ganassi Racing)
- Alex Bowman (Hendrick Motorsports)
- Erik Jones (Joe Gibbs Racing)
- Kyle Larson (Chip Ganassi Racing)
- Ryan Blaney (Penske Racing)
- William Byron (Hendrick Motorsports)
- Aric Almirola (Stewart-Haas Racing)
- Clint Bowyer (Stewart-Haas Racing)
- Ryan Newman (Roush-Fenway Racing)
- Daniel Suarez (Stewart-Haas Racing)
- Jimmie Johnson (Hendrick Motorsports)
- Paul Menard (Wood Brothers Racing)
- Chris Buescher (Front Row Motorsports)
Oh Jimmie, Where Art Thou?
The shock to all NASCAR fans is 7-time champion Jimmie Johnson not being in the playoffs for the first time in his cup career. While Johnson has shown flashes this season of his former championship winning ways, he was never able to pull a full race together and secure a win to get him in. When disaster struck late in the race at Indianapolis, ending his bid to race for the championship this year, Johnson, his Hendrick Motorsports team and race fans have to wonder if this is it for Johnson.
Ryan Newman, at the expense of Daniel Suarez and Jimmie Johnson, is in the 2019 playoffs. When Roush-Fenway Racing signed Newman in the off-season, the question was whether or not Newman could race the No. 6 to playoffs. He without a doubt has delivered. With strong finishes over the season, we will have to wait and see if Newman can deliver once again and spoil the top teams charge to the cup.
Who? Who? Who?
In ten weeks, we will crown a 2019 Monster Energy Cup Series champion? But who will it be? Will it be a new champion, or will a previous champion reign supreme again? Can one of the drivers at the bottom make in impact, or will the ones at the top stay there? We will find out soon enough!
Featured Image Credit: Nascar/Monster Energy
For advertising and sponsorship opportunities with The Game Changer Sports Network please contact Jake at Jake.Jollymore@Gmail.com