With Major League Baseball’s trade deadline quickly approaching on July 31st at 4:00 P.M EST, many if not all teams in the league will be looking for that one trade to help their franchise. Here are a look at the recent rumors in the baseball world.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks have been looking for a trade destination for starting pitcher Zack Greinke. Recent reports say that the D’Backs are willing to eat some of Greinke’s salary to help move a deal along quicker.
- The Marcus Stroman sweepstakes seems to have a front runner, as David O’Brien of The Athletic has reported that the Atlanta Braves were among the many teams scouting Stroman. However, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic has reported that the Braves preference from the Blue Jays could be Ken Giles.
- Speaking of Ken Giles, the Boston Red Sox have been looking to add the Tampa Bay Ray pitcher. The Red Sox are also linked to San Diego Padres pitcher Kirby Yates.
- It has been reported that the Arizona Diamondbacks have been attending games at the Yankees high-A affiliate. This could mean that the D’Backs are looking at talent to acquire in a possible trade for left hander Robbie Ray.
- Another pitcher that teams are looking to for help is Texas Rangers starter Mike Minor. According to reports, teams such as the Yankees, Brewers, Phillies, and Braves have reportedly been considering pursuing Minor.
- San Francisco Giants President Farhan Zaidi spoke on the team’s willingness to trade star pitcher Madison Bumgarner. Zaidi said that the Giants “have not been the aggressors”. Zaidi has also said “if we continue to play well, obviously that will color things in a different way”. That leads me to believe that players like Madison Bumgarner, Will Smith, and Tony Watson will have to wait to see if the Giants’ hot streak continues before knowing if they will be traded to another team.
- The Detroit Tigers slugger Nicholas Castellanos seems to have a suitor. According to Chris McCosky of the Detroit News, the Chicago Cubs are showing interest in the Tigers outfielder. The Cubs outfield has been a sore spot for the team, as Kyle Schwarber is rarely in the lineup against left-handed pitchers.
- Also a trade chip for the Tigers and possibly the biggest, is young left-handed pitcher Matthew Boyd. The Tigers have expected a huge return for the young star, as MLB Network’s Jon Heyman has reported Detroit asked the Yankees for star second baseman Gleyber Torres.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Washington Nationals are looking to bolster their bullpen. Rosenthal has reported the Nationals are interested in Tigers closer Shane Greene, and Giants pitcher Sam Dyson.
- Jon Morosi of MLB.com has reported that the Tampa Bay Rays have checked in with the Texas Rangers on slugger Hunter Pence. Morosi has also reported that the Rays are open to adding rental players in to get a deal done.
- Matthew Boyd continues to draw attention from teams around the league. It’s reported by Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia has reported that the Philadelphia Phillies have had conversations with the Tigers on the availability of Boyd. Salisbury has also reported that the Phillies also have interest in Tigers closer Shane Greene.
- While the Diamondbacks also look for a trade partner for Zack Greinke, outfielder Jarrod Dyson has also gotten some attention. More specifically, the Chicago Cubs have checked in on Dyson while they try to upgrade their struggling outfield.
- The 38-64 Toronto Blue Jays are also looking to unload contracts. Jon Morosi of MLB.com is reporting that Blue Jays second baseman Eric Sogard and relief pitcher Daniel Hudson have been drawing interest from teams around the league. So far, Toronto has had an abundance of players linked in trade deals including Sogard, Hudson, Ken Giles, and ace pitcher Marcus Stroman.
- According to MLB.com‘s Jon Morosi, the Colorado Rockies are reportedly “willing to listen to offers” for All-Star outfielder Charlie Blackmon. However, Morosi reports that a trade is unlikely, due to a no-trade clause that includes 15 teams.
- Recent reports from Jeff Passan of ESPN say that if the Cincinnati Reds decide to sell, left handed pitcher Amir Garrett could receive the most attention. Passan reports that Garrett has “significant buzz” around the league.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, rival executives “are growing increasingly skeptical” that deals will not get done for the Cleveland Indians righty Trevor Bauer, and Detroit Tigers lefty Matthew Boyd.
- According to the MLB Network the Philadelphia Phillies are reportedly discussing a trade with the Cleveland Indians involving Trevor Bauer.
- Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic has reported that Cincinnati Reds consider Yasiel Puig a “strong candidate” to be traded before the deadline.
- Yahoo Sports is reporting that the New York Mets pitcher Zach Wheeler will be moved. They’re quoted as saying the chances are “pretty high” that a deal will happen.
- Craig Mish of FNTSY Sports Radio has reported that the Minnesota Twins are showing interest in Miami Marlins closer Sergio Romo. The Twins have been looking for ways to bolster their bullpen.
- According to Jon Morosi of MLB.com the New York Yankees and the Toronto Blue Jays are still in contact for ace pitcher Marcus Stroman. However, Andy Martino of SNY.com reports that the Yankees have not been that aggressive in talks, and doesn’t see them as front runners. The Blue Jays obviously value Stroman, so much that according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com they have requested Gleyber Torres in Stroman talks.
- According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com the New York Mets are “working hard” to move Noah Syndergaard. The Mets are looking for an MLB ready starter who can step right in in place for Thor if he is traded. Joel Sherman of The New York Post, the Houston Astros have been the “most aggressive” teams in talks for Syndergaard. The Braves, and Twins have also been linked to Thor.
- Joel Sherman of The New York Post has reported that the Cincinnati Reds are reportedly listening to offers on closer Raisel Iglesias.
Be sure to check back with Game Changer Sports Network for all your MLB Trade Deadline Rumors!
Featured photo source: sportingnews.com
For advertising and sponsorship opportunities with The Game Changer Sports Network please contact Jake at Jake.Jollymore@Gmail.com